ITAN is an association of over 350 Information Technology driven companies in Nigeria. It was founded in 1991 to promote IT literacy and penetration in Nigeria; and to promote members' interest in the area of trade, public policy formulation and negotiations with government on IT policy matters.
Our vision is to engender a new Nigeria powered by Information Technology; while our mission is to pursue with vigor and accomplish an Information Society in Nigeria using diverse and cutting-edge tools and means.
Our Services include:
- PUBLIC POLICY: The realm of Policy Making plays a central part in ITAN's activities since inception in 1991. We work closely with Government Ministries, National Assembly and are engaging the political parties. We also work in collaboration with other stakeholders to do the following things:
- SENSITISATION: We partner with Nigerian policy makers to promote the importance of ICT in national development.
- EXCHANGE OF VIEWS (SPECIFIC TO IT): ITAN works with WITSA to compliment public policy makers and industry leaders for exchange and transfer of IT know-how.
- ARTICULATE COMMON POLICY: We assist organizations both public and private to concretise common policy thrust to accelerate IT development in Nigeria.
- VOICE OF ADVOCACY: ITAN is a voice of advocacy at important government leadership fora and in regular individual conversations with real decision markers.
- NETWORKING AND CONTACTS: ITAN provides networking opportunities for its members and key IT experts through its numerous events the year round. Such opportunities involve International trade tours, and missions especially on WITSA platform for necessary networking and contracts that are keys to business profitability.
- SERVICE & INFORMATION: ITAN keeps its members informed about ongoing trends and issues relevant to the industry. To this effect, the ITAN Newsletter/SmartBrief, the Processor is published regularly. Also, through its website, www.itan.org.ng, ITAN provides robust information about the industry. The site is updated regularly to provide current information about ITAN programmes and events as well as those of our partners. ITAN/WITSA market research initiative provides members with solid, objective data analysis of the ICT markets. ITAN also offers its members practical assistance with checklists and guidelines.
ITAN was established in 1991 as Microcomputer Vendors Association of Nigeria (MiVAN) following visionary initiative of Mr. Tayo Adeniyi, MD Worldwide Computers Ltd. In 1995, it transmuted into Computer Vendors Association of Nigeria (CoVAN). Finally in 2000 following the dynamics of its membership base and the industry trends, it further transformed into what is now the Information Technology (Industry) Association of Nigeria (ITAN).
In 2002, following industry pressures and advocacy by the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, ITAN joined other stakeholders to form what is now the society of IT professionals in Nigeria, the Nigeria Computer Society (NCS).
ITAN's first President was Mr. Yinka Edu of A-Z Computers Ltd. In 1995, Mr. Davis Mirilla of Falcon Computers Ltd succeeded him. In 1999, Mr. Chris Uwaje of Connect Technologies Ltd followed. In 2003, Mr. Will Anyaegbunam of Beta Computers Ltd became the President. He was succeeded by Dr. Jimson Olufuye on March 29, 2007.
Engr. (Mrs.) Florence Seriki (CEO of Omatek Computers), the current President of ITAN was elected during the 2011 AGM, along with a board of Directors which includes:
1st Vice President – Mr. Amos Emmanuel (CEO, Programos Software)
2nd Vice President – Mr. Yunusa Yau (Executive Director, CITAD)
Treasurer – Mr. Matthias Ifesieh (CEO, Sagita Systems Ltd)
Council Members – Mr. Dele Ajisomo (Mandriva Africa), Mr. Emma Onuegbu (Zinox Technologies), Mr. Tola Sogbesan (Chace Systems Ltd), Mr. Adeniyi Ekine (Obita Crescent Audio Visual Industry), Mr. David Onu (Interra Networks Ltd), Mr. John Nwosu (Jetlink Nigeria Ltd), Mr. Sagir Mohammed (Intersystems Ltd), Mr. Oamen Okhilua (Yobel Integrated Ltd). Statutory members of the Council are Dr. Jimson Olufuye (Immediate Past President and CEO Kontemporary Ltd), Mr. Tayo Adeniyi (Worldwide Computers Ltd and Initiator of ITAN), and other past presidents in line with the newly approved constitution.
- Establishment of the 1st framework for the local assembly of computer component through the CAT/CoVAN initiative leading to the establishment of the National Committee for the Acquisition of Computer and Electronic Technology (NACACET) committee by the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology in 1995.
- Partnership with Federal Ministry of Science and Technology on the mitigation of the Y2K Bug, 1999.
- Hosting of the 1st IT Policy Advocacy Workshop in Nigeria, 2000
- Drafting and presenting to the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, the first IT Policy document for Nigeria, 1999.
- Formation of the Nigeria Computer Society in 2002.
- Launch of the Computer in School Initiative (CISI) 2001 and later rebranded OSPC in March 2008.
- Institution of the annual IT CEO Summit from 2007 under the IT Future brand.
- Establishment of alliance with PIKOM and BITKOM of Malaysia and Germany in 2008 and 2009 respectively.
- Admission into the World Information Technology & Services Alliance (WITSA), 2008.
- Successful hosting of WITSA Chairman Dato Dan E. Khoo on his maiden visit to Nigeria, 2009.
- Establishment of the National IT Public Private Forum in 2009.
- Hosting of the WITSA Africa Region Secretariat, 2010.
- Election of the 1st Nigerian Vice Chairman of WITSA.
- Signed collaborative MoU with the Association of Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria (ATCON), 2010.
- Hosting of NASSCOM (India) CEOs delegation, 2010.
- Appointment of the first Nigerian as a representatives of the Global Business Community into the UN Commission on Science and Technology for Development Working Group on improvements to the Internet Governance Forum.
ITAN Abuja Chapter was founded and inaugurated in 1995 by the then Mr. Jimson Olufuye with ample support from the then Gen. Secretary Mr. Chris Uwaje. Dr. Olufuye was Chairman from 1995 till 2000. In 2000, Mr. Rommy Martin-Odo succeeded him. In 2003, Mr. Obi Obiazor took over. Between 2006 and November 2008, Mr. Olu Joseph of Sephix Ltd was the Chairman. The first woman Chairman was elected in February 2009 and she is Ms. Ola Akinyemi, MD/CEO Omar Ventures Ltd.
Kano State Chapter of ITAN had its first meeting on 31st December 2003 at Intersystem Computer Services, Zoo Road Kano, with an appreciable number of IT companies and professionals in attendance. The efforts of the MD/CEO of Intersystem Computer Services, in the person of Sagir Moh’d presently, Kano State Chairman and the Director of CITAD, Y Z Ya’u who is now the present National Secretary of ITAN, was what gave birth to the Kano State Chapter of ITAN. Equally worth mentioning is the approval letter sent to us from the National Head Quarters dated 30th September 2004 for the Kano Chapter of ITAN to take off. The chapter had several meetings in line with the objectives of the ITAN State chapter viz.
- To organize, sensitize and improve the quality of resourcefulness among members thereby, increasing the capacity of ITAN Kano Chapter to Service delivery.
- To partner with the State Government in its effort in the formulation and implementation of IT policy in the State
- To protect and regulate Stakeholders
Worth mentioning again is the contribution of ITAN Kano Chapter with the position paper it presented to the Kano State ICT policy drafting committee. The State Chapter of ITAN, in collaboration with CITAD had organized Workshops and seminars on ICT awareness for the public as well as ICT quiz competition among the Secondary Schools in Kano and the neighboring States. ITAN has also organized train the Trainers program for Secondary School Teachers in Kano State.
The Kano State Chapter of ITAN was officially inaugurated on November 2008.
Lagos State Chapter
The Lagos Chapter of the Association is headed by Mr. Abiodun Adeoye of ConSol Ltd.
Kaduna State Chapter
Kaduna State Chapter of ITAN was launched in 2011 under the chairmanship of Mr. Adeniyi Ekine of Obita Crescent Audio Visual Industry.
Rivers State Chapter
The Rivers State Chapter, under the leadership of Mr. Oamen Okhilua of Yobel Integrated was launched in 2010 in Port Harcourt
Download ITAN constitution as revised in AGM 2011.